Spain is nothing if not enthusiastic about sport, with football and basketball all but national obsessions.
There are also plenty of opportunities to get out and enjoy the country’s stunning outdoors, or submerge yourself in the culture of the different regions of Spain.
Football is the most popular spectator and participant sport in Spain. However, hockey, tennis, netball and swimming are also played by Spanish schools making this, together with the warm climate, picturesque landscape and cultural opportunities; an excellent place to visit on the UK’s doorstep.
BEST TIME TO TOUR:
April, May, June, September, and October are very good for travel. If you want to visit cities in northern Spain near the Atlantic, such as San Sebastian, Oviedo, and Santiago de Compostela and the rest of Galicia, the months of July and August are the best. Barcelona, the Costa Brava, Valencia, and the Balearic Islands are best from May to September. The Costa del Sol and Almeria are the best places to visit during winter because they are the warmest.
STANDARD OF FIXTURES:
With regard to hockey, you can expect a competition rating of 4 out of 5.
- 3 Nights / 4 Days
- Castelldefels, Spain (approximately 18km from Barcelona)
- Departure: London Heathrow – Barcelona (British Airways) Return: Barcelona – London Heathrow (British Airways)
– Return airport transfers
– Coach transfers as specified in itinerary
– 3 nights at Ciudad Castelldefels Hotel*
– 10 x triple rooms + 1 x twin room (students); 1 x twin room + 2 x single rooms (teachers)
*All accommodation is subject to availability. Please note we are not holding any accommodation or services until the booking has been confirmed. If the hotel is unavailable we will aim to source similar accommodation, however, prices may alter
- Breakfast 3 Lunch 0 Packed Lunch 0
- Dinner 3 Post-match function 0 Other 0
- 1 x self-led training session
- 2 x pre-arranged hockey fixtures including umpires
– Visit to Barcelona (by train) including walking tour of central Barcelona
– Nou Camp Experience
– 1 x bottled water per person on match days
– 1 x hold luggage per person (check-in luggage)
- Full liaison between the group and TEAM Sports for the duration of the tour. (Services of a TEAM Sports representative to stay with the group throughout)
- Travel Insurance. Passports and visas if applicable.
- Additional kit bags
- Admission fees into sights of interest not included in the tour cost/ itinerary. Personal expenses such as tips for meals, gratuities, telephone calls, beverages, all meals not mentioned under inclusions and anything else of a person nature. Any other services not mentioned.
AREAS TO VISIT AND THEIR MAIN ATTRACTIONS:
- Barcelona – Barcelona is known for its art and architecture, shopping and beach. Take time to visit the bustling Ramblas, visit Montjuic, the site of the 1992 Olympics, Gaudi’s infamous Sagrada Familia or head to the Camp Nou
- Madrid – Madrid, Spain’s central capital, is a city of elegant boulevards and expansive, manicured parks such as the Buen Retiro. Take in the Royal Palace of Madrid or the Museo Nacional Del
- Valencia – The port city of Valencia lies on Spain’s southeastern coast. It’s known for its City of Arts and Sciences, with futuristic structures including a planetarium, an oceanarium and an interactive
- Puerto Banus / Marbella – Puerto Banus is known as the playground of the rich and famous, Spectacular beaches and warm climate make it an ideal destination for groups. Just one hour away in the British overseas territory of Gibraltar stands the most popular tourist sight, the Rock of Gibraltar.
Meet at London Heathrow Airport a minimum of 2 hrs before departure on flight BA472 departing at 0620hrs
On arrival at Barcelona airport at 0925hrs you will be met by a TEAM Sports representative and transferred by coach to your 3* hotel in Castelldefels for 3 nights
The town has an attractive marina and its excellent location, close to Barcelona City and set along 5 kilometres of beautiful coastline, makes it a perfect destination. The town offers good amenities, with a selection of shops, bars and restaurants. You can visit the ancient castle of Fels, from which the town takes its name and the 16th century medieval defence towers, Can Ballester and Barona tower.
En-route stop at a local supermarket to stock up on supplies, (sports drinks, nibbles, water and fruit etc.)
Arrive at hotel to drop off bags
Time at leisure to explore Castelldefels or enjoy teacher-led activities and have lunch (at own cost)
Return to hotel to check-in and unpack
Late afternoon, walk to local club for fixture 1 (help will be provided to assist in transporting equipment)
Fixture 1 v local school/club After the match, walk back to the hotel
Dinner at hotel
Breakfast at leisure at hotel
Take the short walk to a local pitch
Self-led training 1
Return to hotel to freshen up before heading into the city of Barcelona
Barcelona excursion: Walk to station and take train to central Barcelona. Explore the key sights of the city with an English-speaking tour guide and then enjoy free time to explore the city further and enjoy lunch (at own cost)
Return by train to the hotel in Castelldefels
Dinner at hotel
Breakfast at hotel
This morning you will take the train into Barcelona for your guided tour of the Camp Nou – Barcelona FC’s stadium
Explore all the different parts of the Camp Nou as you take a tour of one of the most emblematic stadiums in the world. Visit:
- The away side’s changing room
- The players’ tunnel
- The pressroom and the mixed zone
- The commentary boxes
- The Roma 2009 Space
- Messi Space
- Trophy room
- Sit on the first team bench!
Return to hotel by train
Lunch at leisure (at own cost)
Later this afternoon, you will be transferred by coach to local club for fixture 2
Fixture 2 v local school/club
Transfer to hotel to freshen up
End of Tour dinner at hotel
Enjoy breakfast and check out.
Transfer to Table Mountain for a return ride on the cable car (weather permitted).
Transfer to local school where students will meet their host parents with whom they will stay for 2 nights. Staff at a hotel/guest house on a bed and breakfast basis.
At leisure (dinner own account).
Breakfast at leisure hotel
Check-out of hotel and transfer to Barcelona Airport
Lunch at leisure (at own cost)
Flight BA475 departs at 1345hrs
Arrive at London Heathrow at 1510hrs
End of tour arrangements
You will be sent a copy of our ‘Safety Management System’ (SMS) with any proposal / quote that we send to you. This will provide you with all the information you require to understand how we prepare for and plan your tour, to ensure health and safety at the forefront of our planning and a systematic approach is followed. If you would like a copy of this document in advance of this, please call our team on + 44 207 402 3708.
It is our responsibility to ensure that you are up to date with the health and safety advice for any destination that we feature on our website. We feel the best way to do this to ensure that all information is the most up to date, is to provide you with the following web links:
Health, Safety & Entry Requirements: FCO Spain
Health Advice: Travel Health Spain